Help and useful resources for freelance members.
What the NUJ can do for you
- The NUJ freelance office can advise on fees, contracts, copyright, employment rights, insurance and much more. It can also assist in pursuing late payers. Alternatively, NUJ members can contact the freelance industrial council.
- The NUJ freelance directory is the biggest and most reliable listing of media freelances in the UK and Ireland with free listings for all NUJ freelance members.
- The freelancee fees guide can help freelances get the best rate for the job.
- #useitpayforit: guidelines for selling your pictures
- The Freelance Fact Pack can be accessed my NUJ members, and provides useful information including on contracts, negotiation, engaging an accountant, collecting societies and sources of training.
Helpful resources are also available on the London Freelance Branch website including Rate for the job, where you can access and confidentially submit pay rates for commissions. You'll also find an interest calculator for late payments and The Freelance magazine published regularly.
Find out about the NUJ's Fair Deal for Freelances campaign.
ALCS and DACS
The Authors' Licencing and Collecting Society (ALCS) is an organisation that collects money due to its members for secondary rights of their work, for example photocopying and repeat use via the internet. It also campaigns to ensure writers receive fair and adequate payment.
DACS is a not-for-profit visual artists’ rights management organisation. DACS collects and distributes royalties to visual artists and their estates.
10-point charter for freelances rights and benefits.
This Ready Reckoner is intended for use by freelance journalists working from their own premises. It is based on a detailed comparison of the costs fo...
Should you be getting paid holiday?
When is a casual not a casual?
A Guide to the Small Claims Procedure in the County Court for Recovering Monies Owed.
Guidance on the business implications of GDPR obligations for freelances.
This booklet is for people who are trying to make a living by creative work, particularly journalism.
Members of the media are not only members of the public; they can influence the way the Metropolitan Police Service is portrayed.
National Police Chiefs Council guidance on working with journalists during the Covid-19 outbreak.
Freelances make up around a third of the NUJ membership and the union is here to help its freelance members during the coronavirus pandemic.
Latest guidance on Covid-19 financial packages for freelances.
The appalling rates offered to freelances were discussed by delegates.
NUJ freelances and those thinking of going freelance can join a free online seminar on taxation being held on 7 February.
A stalwart of the London Freelance Branch, he was known as a tenacious agitator.