NUJ membership carries many benefits, including access to press cards and useful discounts from companies.
The benefits of being an NUJ member include:
- Pay and conditions: the NUJ helps negotiate pay rates, hours, staffing issues and in a unionised workplace, you can get more annual leave. The union has had many wins, big and small, by negotiating with employers, taking action and standing together – as part of the NUJ.
- Equality: there is less chance of discrimination in a unionised workplace. The union supports members and it actively campaigns against bullying and harassment.
- Media freedom: the union defends media freedom when it comes under threat.
- Ethics: the union has its own code of conduct and a range of support for NUJ members.
- Health and safety: union reps have powers to ensure the risks of injury or ill-health are reduced or eliminated at work.
- Legal support: every year, the NUJ helps members win damages from employers and clients.
- Training: the union provides training for members.
- Events: all members are welcome to attend NUJ events.
- Contacts: NUJ members can contact each other to ask questions and offer solidarity and support.
- NUJ Extra: our registered charity helps members and their dependants in times of need.
Full and temporary members of the union who are engaged in news-gathering can apply for press cards once their membership has been approved. Find out more about the various cards the NUJ issues and apply for the card you need for work.
Find out more about discounts companies, including Dell and Apple, have on offer for NUJ members and how to use them.