The union has a number of specialist committees and a board dealing focusing on specific issues.
These bodies are:
- Copyright Committee deals with everything related to copyright, from supporting members with cases to writing expert submissions to governments and the EU related to changes in copyright law.
- Health and Safety Committee advises members on the range of health and safety issues, promotes the training of union health and safety reps and campaigns for improvements in health and safety law.
- Journalist Editorial Advisory Board works with the independent editor of the Journalist, the NUJ's membership magazine.
- Professional Training Committee (ProfCom) co-ordinates the union's professional training courses in England and works with the geographic executive councils on their training provision.
- Standing Orders Committee (SOC) coordinates the delegate meeting (DM) timetable and makes recommendations on motions and amendments. At the DM itself, SOC creates order papers and supports the chair.