The National Police Chiefs Council Communications Advisory Group has agreed to these guidelines being circulated to, and adopted by, Police Forces in England, Wales & Northern Ireland.
Police officers are likely to have contact with journalists who will continue doing their job during the Government's Covid-19 Coronavirus restrictions. The following guidance outlines how this should be approached.
- Journalists are covered as key workers
- There is a public interest in keeping the population informed of the developing crisis and subsequent recovery / return to normality
- Responsible journalism promotes good community relations and assists the emergency services, which is essential in the current health emergency
- Journalists will be expected to carry a UK Press Card or other official record of employment
- Police will engage with them if officers are unsure why they are out.
- We will expect them to comply with the Public Health guidelines e.g. on numbers, social distancing, and if not we'll explain and encourage them to do so