Journalists again threatened by loyalist paramilitaries
Newspaper journalist told of shoot to kill threat.
Two journalists working for the Sunday World newspaper have been contacted by police and told of a series of "imminent threats" of attack by criminals and loyalist paramilitaries including the West Belfast Ulster Defence Association (UDA).
One NUJ member was contacted in the middle of the night by the police and alerted to a threat. Another NUJ member has been issued with a shoot to kill threat and is also at risk of entrapment and attack. Both individuals have been named in various threatening social media posts and both journalists have been threatened on previous occasions.
Those involved in issuing the threats against journalists have carried out recent acts of serious violence.
Seamus Dooley, NUJ assistant general secretary, said:
"Once again NUJ members have received serious threats from loyalist paramilitaries and criminals intent on silencing journalism in Northern Ireland. These attempts to intimidate journalists must be condemned in the strongest possible terms. We welcome the fact that the journalists concerned have received the full support of their employer.
"The protection of journalists and the active pursuit of those who threaten the media is essential to a functioning democratic society. The PSNI is fully engaged with both journalists and we hope that every effort will be made to ensure the continued safety of our members, their families and their colleagues."
Patricia Devlin to lodge official complaint to Police Ombudsman after a 'year of inaction' by the Police Service of Northern Ireland.
The British and Irish governments should not turn a blind eye to the lack of justice for Martin O’Hagan.
This unprecedented joint initiative aims to highlight and challenge the increasing number of threats of violence inflicted on the media
Politicians who condemned threats to NUJ members last week are now also threatened by South East Antrim UDA.