Find out what members are saying about the NUJ, and join us online using #heartunions #heartNUJ
The NUJ is the voice for journalists and journalism, campaigning on behalf of our members across sectors. Big or small, you will find NUJ members working in most of the media companies in the UK and Ireland. Whether its defending media freedom, negotiating pay, or providing training, the NUJ is here for you.
What our members say
I have been an NUJ member for 25 years and highly recommend all journalists to join as you never know when you might need help.
I am delighted to comment on the successful conclusion of my claim that the NUJ’s solicitors, Thompsons’ made on my behalf. From the very first contact I had with Thompsons solicitors I was impressed with the methodical and professional attention I received.
Henry Jacobs, London Freelance Photojournalist
Covid-19 upended not just my ability to report, but my whole way of life as I relied on being able to live and work on the road, gathering stories internationally. I am very grateful for the support from NUJ Extra, not just in financial terms but to help rebuild my confidence, as a journalist with 45 years experience who is committed to reporting this changed world.
As a freelancer I found myself in a very dire financial position when the Coronavirus hit and lock down was enforced. My freelancing work completely dried up but my bills still needed paid. I was so grateful to the NUJ Extra fund as it allowed me to pay priority bills. Thank you so much for organising this.
5 things you didn’t know about the NUJ
- We’re an active union with 30,000 members working across a wide range of roles including in editorial teams, photography and across journalism
- We won a landmark equal pay case in 2020 by standing up for what’s right, and have produced equal pay and gender pay gap guidance
- Our work often spans the globe. We’re affiliated with sister unions on wide ranging issues from press freedom to workers’ rights
- We're here during tough times. Our charity, NUJ extra, supported members requiring financial support both before and throughout the pandemic.
- We’re leading the call for better terms and conditions for freelances. Our #fairdeal4freelances campaign seeks to improve job protection and achieve fair benefits; we know every freelancer deserves
Think journalism, think NUJ. Will you join the NUJ and be a part of our collective power this #heartunions week?
Shout all about it
Our collective power comes from our members. Help spread the word to colleagues and tell them why you #heartNUJ
Follow us on social media @nujofficial and tag us during the week with #heartunions #heartnuj
HeartUnions: Trade unions organising to win around the world (16 February)- Register free here
Find out more about #heartunions week on the Trade Unions Congress website