If you work as a photographer – the NUJ is the union for you.
We can help provide you with advice on work-related matters including pay and conditions, legal issues, copyright matters, disputes with non-paying clients, employment problems, technical and ethical issues.
The union can also provide advice on contracts and training as well as the chance to meet other NUJ members and be part of a larger community of photographers fighting to defend the profession.
The NUJ represents freelance photographers, staff photographers and videographers.
The first meeting of the NUJ's new nationally elected photographers' council was held in July 2013.
The first Photographers' Council: from left, Nigel Dickinson, Barbara
Lindberg, Pete Jenkins (NEC), Dominic Bascombe (servicing officer),
Carole Edrich, Simon Chapman, Gerry McCann, Andrew Wiard,
John Jones; © Nigel Dickinson (International)
Some of the issues NUJ photographers face include:
- fair rates for sale of images, low shift and image rates and companies attempting to get photographers to work for no pay
- attacks on copyright and contractual rights
- restrictions on the right to photograph and record
- press freedom and obstruction, harassment, assault and/or arrest of photographers and videographers. Read the NUJ guidelines for dealing with the police or private security during demonstrations or other events
- Read the guidelines for metropolitan police service staff on dealing with media
- health, safety and working conditions for photographers and videographers.
- Read the template Photographers and Artists Agreement and guidelines for photographers and videographers working in live music
- Download Going Solo: An NUJ guide for moving from staff to freelance photography. This brief guide will assist when considering commissions for freelance work from an individual, company or organisation, the document largely refers to the UK so please note that there may be different arrangements for those working in the Republic of Ireland.
- #useitpayforit: guidelines for selling your pictures
Read all the NUJ news about photographers.
Contact the NUJ photographers' council (members only).