Winning for you at work

Forgotten Password?
  1. Home
  2. Work
  3. NUJ extra
  4. Who we help

Who we help

NUJ Extra

We may help:

  • current full members of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ)
  • former full members of the NUJ who resigned from the union when they retired or left journalism, for example
  • dependants of deceased NUJ members, such as widows and orphans.

There are some restrictions:

  • we may only help full members of the NUJ, so we cannot assist you if you are a temporary, student or asylum seeker member
  • full NUJ members must have paid at least one year's contributions to the NUJ
  • for past members, we must have proof, via the NUJ's records or documentary evidence (old NUJ membership cards, NUJ life membership cards), that the person was a member of the NUJ who had paid their contributions regularly
  • we do not normally assist lapsed members, unless you can provide a reason that satisfies the trustees
  • we help current members facing short-term difficulties only. We cannot subsidise those who are unable to make a living as a journalist.

Further details on how we work.

Donate to NUJ extra – anyone can donate money to the charity. Members should log in to the website before making a donation to avoid filling in forms.

NUJ extra is registered under the Charities Act (in England and Wales) and is regulated by the Charity Commission. NUJ extra's registration number is 1112489.