Winners celebrated at NUJ Regional Press Awards
30 June 2010
Regional newspaper staff from across the UK came together to celebrate the very best in regional journalism at the NUJ Regional Press Awards last night. The NUJ rescued this year's regional press awards after the former regional press awards organisers pulled the plug on the competition, declaring there was "insufficient interest".
However, the NUJ Regional Press Awards was delared a great success, having generated hundreds of high quality entries, which confirmed the outstandingly high quality of regional journalism.
Speaking at the awards ceremony, Jeremy Dear, NUJ general secretary, said:
"We want to show that journalism does matter. We know that too many newspaper companies are failing local communities and that one in four jobs have gone on local newspapers.
"We know that local democracy is suffering as a consequence. We want to celebrate the fact that there are still outstanding journalists out there who care about what they do under increasingly stressful circumstances."
To thunderous applause, he added:
"The industry itself should recognise the talent of local and regional journalists. But if they don't, we will continue."
The award winners were:
- Reporter of the year, daily/Sunday – Allison Morris, Irish News
- Reporter of the year, weekly – Eleanor Harding, Wandsworth Guardian
- Multimedia journalist of the year – Sion Donovan, The News, Portsmouth
- Feature writer of the year, daily/Sunday – Jayne Dawson, Yorkshire Evening Post
- Feature writer of the year, weekly – Roger Lytollis, Cumberland News
- Sports journalist of the year, daily/Sunday – Neil Allen, The News, Portsmouth
- Sports journalist of the year, weekly – Eric Mackinnon, West Lothian Courier
- Specialist writer of the year – Carl Eve, Plymouth Herald
- Columnist of the year – Stacia Briggs, Norwich Evening News
- Student journalist of the year – Rosie Taylor, Forge Press
- Designer of the year – Graeme Windell, The News, Portsmouth
- Photographer of the year, daily/Sunday – Stuart Boulton, Northern Echo
- Photographer of the year, weekly – Chris Whiteoak, Surrey Advertiser
- Sports photographer of the year, daily/Sunday – Lucy Ray, Bradford and Telegraph Argus
- Sports photographer of the year, weekly – Stephen Garnett, Craven Herald
- Scoop of the year – Cherry Wilson, Rotherham Advertiser
- Campaign of the year – Kathryn Torney, Belfast Telegraph
- Multimedia publisher of the year – Stuart Kirkpatrick, Caledonian Mercury
- The Felix Dearden reporting on race award – Mary Griffin, Coventry Telegraph
- Newspaper of the year – The News, Portsmouth