The NUJ expresses “disappointment” at Pride in London’s treatment of photographers
Last year's London Pride march - © nuj
5 July 2019
The National Union of Journalists has expressed disappointment and frustration on behalf of photographer members who have been told they will have reduced access to Saturday’s Pride march.
Members had been in contact to say that Pride in London (PiL) had changed its rules on access for photographers because of “new security arrangements”. Discussions between the union and PiL have had limited success with one photographer being given full accreditation, but others were left angry because they had not. PiL said it would discuss the arrangements with the NUJ for next year’s parade.
Other photographer organisations and gay rights activist Peter Tatchell had also complained. Colourful scenes from the parade have been a mainstay of Sunday newspapers and magazines celebrating the event.
Natasha Hirst, Chair of NUJ Photographers' Council said:
"Professional news photographers should not be excluded from a public event in this way. This is not a security or health and safety issue, it is a serious attack on press freedom that undermines the ability of journalists to carry out their work. Allowing press photographers access to do their job will not compromise the safety of the parade. While disappointed and frustrated, the union hopes to ensure the arrangements next year are more suitable and respect the role professional photographers play.”
Members of the National Union of Journalists sign a code of conduct to which they agree to work ethically.
UPDATE: PiL are now saying they they are reviewing the applications of those who are able to prove they're accredited press.