#SomosTélam: support the Argentinian news agency workers’ fight for jobs
18 July 2018
More than 350 journalists and media workers – 40 per cent of the workforce - have been sacked by the Argentine news agency Télam.
The dismissals are an attack on union organisation and media diversity and put at risk the future of the whole agency. They represent a brutal attempt by the government to control the editorial content of the agency. The sackings have been ruled unlawful by the courts, but the government refuses to reinstate the journalists.
The workers were selected for redundancy based on their alleged political views and union activities by a new government-appointed management.
Members of the Union of Press Workers of Buenos Aires are seeking redress. They have staged demonstrations, are filing a court action and are considering a complaint to the International Labour Organisation.
They need your support. Here’s how you can help:
- Use the attached model letters (in English and Spanish) and send it to President Macri calling for reinstatement of the workers at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send a message of support to Telam workers at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow the workers on social media: #SomosTélam Twitter: @somostelam Facebook: facebook.com/somostelam Instagram Instagram.com/somos.telam/
- Make representations to the Argentinian ambassador in London, Renato Carlos Sersale di Cerisano, at email@example.com
- Make representations to the Argentinian ambassador in Dublin, Laura Bernal, at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download:
For more background information on the dispute:
Journalism Has Lost': Argentina's Telam News Agency Axes Staff
Argentine Court Demands Telam Reinstate Axed Journalists
Argentina: nueva oleada de despidos en la Agencia Estatal de Noticias Télam