NUJ members at Newsquest York take industrial action
24 February 2009
NUJ members in York are taking industrial action over management plans to axe four journalists jobs. The cuts are on top of redundancies made last year at Newsquest York.
Journalists from the company have been in a meeting to discuss the situation since noon – and plan to stay there until the end of working hours today.
The latest cuts were announced on Friday. The York chapel have given notice of taking industrial action every weekday until 30 March.
Adam Christie, NUJ National Executive Council member for the North East of England, said from York:
"Journalists understandably feel very passionate about their papers but Newsquest has shown us that there is no longer any room in this industry for sentimentality.
"If taking action is the only way journalists can get there voice heard then this is what we will have to do."
Michelle Stanistreet, NUJ deputy general secretary, said:
"The Newsquest York chapel have been fighting against job cuts and for fair pay for most of the past year. We salute them and offer them any support they need."