Winning for you at work


Forgotten Password?
  1. Home
  2. News
  3. Newsquest to cut more jobs at Herald titles

Newsquest to cut more jobs at Herald titles

1 May 2008

Newsquest has announced more job cuts at The Herald, the Sunday Herald and the Evening Times in Scotland. The company says at least 40 jobs will go, about 20 of them from the editorial department.

NUJ members at the titles walked out last year in a dispute about compulsory redundancies. It is estimated that The Herald alone has lost a third of its staff since Newsquest bought it five years ago.

James Doherty, NUJ president, said:

"Since taking over the titles Newsquest has been engaged in a war of attrition which is dismantling all of Scotland’s leading quality newspapers.
"Last year, we took action against management, now members are more furious than ever and we will be looking for support in any action we take to fight against these savage cuts.
"We expect political leaders and others to defend quality journalism as part of a healthy democracy in a devolved Scotland."

A meeting of the Newsquest group chapel is set for May 7, 2008. NUJ reps from the titles involved will discuss the implications of this latest round of redundancies and decide whether to ballot for strike action.

Tags: , newsquest, newspapers, cuts, sunday herald, evening times, herald scotland