More redundancies at Newcastle Chronicle and Journal
25 July 2014
Journalists working for Trinity Mirror titles in the North East have been told the company want to make seven journalists redundant. The NUJ has condemned the cuts, which come in addition to eight other newsroom job cuts at the Newcastle Chronicle and Journal earlier this year.
The company is proposing to axe two multimedia journalists (reporters), one specialist correspondent role, a photographer, a multimedia desk editor (sub editor) and two chief desk editors. They have apparently claimed the reasons for cuts are because "revenues continue to be lower than expected".
The company are moving fast and have given only until Monday 22 August for volunteers to come forward and want to end the process by Monday 12 September.
The NUJ is investigating whether or not the procedural rules on redundancies have been violated.
A local NUJ representative said chapel members were "shocked" by the news as it came from the blue with no inkling anything was seriously amiss.
An NUJ chapel source said:
"Those journalists who were in the first round of redundancies have not even left yet and now the company has announced another fresh round of cuts. They are watching the same thing happening with incredulity."
Chris Morley, NUJ Northern & Midlands organiser, said:
"The hurried announcement of further job cuts at Newcastle, so soon after an earlier, painful round of redundancies, suggests something of a panic by Trinity Mirror.
"Sacrificing jobs on the altar of the City of London is no way to run a media company and what possible explanation can the company give to the city of Newcastle about what it is doing? This is a strategy that leads nowhere and at a time when newspaper companies need to show the public they have standards and responsibility to the people, Trinity Mirror is failing badly.
"We will do all we can to support our members whose jobs have been put at risk by these proposals."
Michelle Stanistreet, NUJ general secretary, said:
"Trinity Mirror wants to force journalists out of work. The North East needs jobs and journalists, the latest job cuts announcement is a blow to loyal and hard-working staff."