Winning for you at work


Forgotten Password?
  1. Home
  2. News
  3. More jobs go at the Brighton Argus

More jobs go at the Brighton Argus

25 March 2015

Two of the Brighton Argus's five photographers are to be made redundant and two of the three features writers are also to go.

Mike Gilson, Newsquest Sussex group editor, said in a letter to staff that the "news may come as a shock". However, job cuts at the paper, have been a regular feature for many years. Last year, all the sub-editor post were lost as production was moved to a subbing hub in Weymouth.

Gilson, former editor of the Belfast Telegraph, took over as group editor of the Argus's publisher last month. It appears one of his first moves will be a wholesale redesign of the paper. Latest circulation figures for July to December 2014 showed the paper sold 13,309 copies per day.

Laura Davison, NUJ national organiser, said:

"The policy of shedding of photographer jobs by Newsquest is a short-sighted way to cut costs and shore up profits for shareholders. These photographers have given decades of dedicated work to the company. They are well known in Brighton and many have won awards for their work. You can't expect the same quantity of high quality photographic coverage if you're cutting jobs so readers will be shortchanged. That is why we asking local people who value their local paper and want proper investment in journalism to back the NUJ's Local News Matters campaign and oppose these cuts."

Support the NUJ's Local News Matters campaign. Read more about it on the campaign page.

Attend the major summit for newspapers and agencies on Saturday 25 April. Find out more on the events page.

Local News Matters banner

Tags: , local news matters, local newspapers, regional newspapers, brighton, cuts, photographers, newsquest, redundancies