International trade union movement calls for action on Gaza today
Palestinian Journalists Syndicate protest against the killing of journalists in Gaza - © PJS
7 August 2014
The International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) has called today an international day of action on Gaza.
NUJ members are encouraged to answer the call and take part in the postcard campaign aimed at sending a global message of support for the ITUC's five point plan for peace:
• A permanent cease-fire
• Humanitarian aid to the people of Gaza
• The immediate suspension of all transfers of weapons, munitions and other military equipment and technology being used against civilians
• An end of the blockade of Gaza
• A negotiated settlement to bring about a two-state solution with the legitimacy of international law.
The ITUC is calling on affiliates and trade union members to make a commitment to peace and send a postcard to the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to show that he has our support to deliver peace.
To take part in the ITUC postcard campaign, go to the postcard website to send a free postcard to the UN Secretary-General with your own personal message and photo.
NUJ members and branches can also send a message to the UN on Twitter using their address @UN
You can also send a twitter message to your own elected representatives to support peace:
Send a message to the UK Prime Minister @Number10gov
Send a message to the Irish Taoiseach @EndaKennyTD
Send a message to the First Minister of Scotland @AlexSalmond
Send a message to the Welsh Assembly @AssemblyWales
You can also post messages on Facebook, Linkedin and other social media sites.
The Gaza campaign is supported by the British TUC, Scottish TUC and the Irish Congress of Trade Unions.
- 13 journalists killed in Gaza: Palestinian protest rally demands end to attacks, IFJ statement, July 2014
- Gaza: general council statement, Trade Union Congress (TUC, UK), July 2014
- Gaza crisis, Scottish TUC statement, July 2014
- Congress demands immediate cessation of Gaza bombardment, Irish Congress of Trade Unions statement, July 2014
- NUJ news on Palestine
- Palestinian Journalists Syndicate website
- Palestinian Journalists Syndicate on twitter @InfoPJS