Cameraman killed & journalist wounded in bomb attack
30 January 2019
Ziad al-Sharaabi, a cameraman working for Abu Dhabi TV, was killed in a bomb attack on Monday in a restaurant located in Yemen’s port city of Mokha. Faisal al-Dhahbani, a reporter from the same network, was wounded in the attack.
The NUJ joins the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ), the Yemeni Journalists Syndicate (YJS) and the UAE Journalists Association in condemning the attack and demanding a full investigation of the incident to bring those responsible for this heinous crime to justice.
Faisal al-Dhahbani told the YJS that he and his colleague Ziad went to a restaurant in a local market to have dinner. After a few minutes, a motorcycle that was next to the restaurant exploded killing Ziad and six other civilians, injuring many and causing widespread damage. Both journalists were on a mission to cover clashes in the Al-Mokha and the West coast areas of Yemen.
Yemen is one of the deadliest countries for journalists in the world according to the IFJ, 35 journalists have died in Yemen since 2011, 8 of whom were killed in 2018.
The YJS reported over 130 attacks on press freedom during the last year, including killings, imprisonments, attacks on media houses, media closures and the confiscation of journalists’ material.
The Yemeni Journalists Syndicate said in a statement:
"The YJS expresses its condolences for the killing of journalist Ziad Al-Sharaabi to his family and colleagues. This attack evidences the increasing threats to journalists’ work In Yemen. We stress that violent acts against journalists are war crimes."
Mohamed Al Hammadi, chairman of the UAE Journalists Association said:
"We call on international media organisations to expose the crimes of the Houthis, which target journalists continuously throughout Yemen, without regard to international conventions and laws that criminalise such immoral practices. The international community must ensure the security and protection of media professionals while performing their duties in conflict areas in accordance with international humanitarian law."
Anthony Bellanger, IFJ general secretary, added:
"We are deeply shocked by this violent attack and we send our deepest condolences to the families and friends of all the victims. Crimes and attacks against journalists are going unpunished in Yemen. This is not acceptable. We demand the competent authorities ensure that all the perpetrators will be brought to justice and to do its utmost to protect and not attack journalists in Yemen."