Calling young members
11 February 2014
Young NUJ members and student members have been invited to take part in a taster session at the union's Delegate Meeting (DM) in April.
On Thursday 10 April at Eastbourne, young members are invited to come to DM for two days, where they can network with delegates, observe sector meetings (including sessions on broadcasting, freelance, PR and communications and book publishing among others) and take part in a debate on the future of journalism.
They will be able to attend a social evening, with a gig from NUJ member and comedian Mark Thomas, in which he will draw on his experience of being under surreal levels of secret police surveillance, which has sparked a union-wide campaign and legal challenge.
March has been designated young workers' month (YWM) by the TUC and NUJ members are encouraged to take part.
It is still possible to nominate young members (who must be aged under 27 on 22 March) to the TUC's young workers' conference in London, 22-23 March. For more details email email@example.com.
The YWM will feature a number of initiatives run by the TUC – NUJ branches are encouraged to put on their own events.
- Young activists are asked to contribute to My Union My Voice promoting their work. The audience is existing young members and the wider trade union community. It will be published in hard copy and PDF.
- Blog series – the TUC is asking young activists and union organisers to write for the Strong Unions blog on the issues facing young workers in their sector. Volunteers should submit blogs, including a picture of the author, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fair pay day for young workers – this will coincide with the TUC's fair pay fortnight. The TUC is organising an on-line action on Wednesday 26 March on the subject of pay.
- Also on 26 March, the TUC is organising a round table in partnership with Public World. The working title for the event is Isn't Work Fun? It will bring together young trade unionists with young workers who have no experience of working in a unionised workplace. The event will be held at The Hub, Kings Cross. Volunteers are needed to attend.
- Youth Unemployment Summit. This will be held in partnership with the Scottish TUC, Irish Congress of Trade Unions and Wales TUC on 28 March in Liverpool.