What is this thing called podcasting?
WhenTuesday 8 January 2019
Download as vCalendar (for Microsoft Outlook etc.)
University of South Wales, Atrium, 86-88 Adam Street, Cardiff CF24 2FN
Get your new year off to a great start with our brand new, one day introduction to podcasting at the University of South Wales' radio studios in Cardiff city centre. Join our tutor, top radio producer and USW lecturer Steve Johnson, to learn the basics of what is an ever-expanding audio universe where niche is good, long-form is encouraged, and great storytelling is prized over all else. By the end of the day you will have recorded a short pilot of your new podcast.
Topics to be covered include:
- Great examples of podcasts
- Equipment needed for a minimum viable product (MVP)
- Podcasting software/apps
- Publishing/hosting platforms
- Collaborating with others (inc. recording Skype calls)
- Researching the sector, finding your niche.
- Researching the topic, scripting & storyboarding
- A studio visit
- Sponsorship, advertising and other routes to monetisation (aspirational/extension task for “high-flyers”)
The NUJ Training Wales team love podcasting and the potential it holds for journalists to expand their audiences and follow their passions.
Steve Johnson is a lecturer and University of South Wales currently producer of the Creatrium podcast. His previous roles include hosting and producing radio shows for Red Dragon FM, Valleys Radio, Bridge FM, Radio Cardiff, GTFM, BBC Radio Wales, Valleys Radio and as matchday announcer at Cardiff City FC.
This event is subsidised by the Wales Union Learning Fund.
£35 NUJ members living and/or working in Wales; £45 other union members in Wales; £55 everyone else
Further details and contact information
NUJ Training Wales