Reps' summit, 2019
WhenSaturday 6 April 2019
Registration from 10.30
Download as vCalendar (for Microsoft Outlook etc.)
Mechanics Institute, 103 Princess St, Manchester M1 6DD
This event is an opportunity for NUJ officials and reps from national and local titles, broadcasting, magazines, PR and freelance to get together to share knowledge and expertise, network and discuss issues facing members in the industry. Crucially, it is an opportunity to work out how the union can respond to the challenges and effectively organise and recruit to create a strong, campaigning union.
- Pay: low pay, equal, pay gender gap, executive pay, PRP and how the union frames a pay campaign
- Bullying & online abuse: how do we protect members from online abuse, being targeted by far-right activists, sexual harassment and bullying?
- Digital disruption: how do we as reps and officials respond to the pressures put on journalists and photographers as the industry struggles to find a new business model, including the constant demand of social media, punishing workloads, template journalism; taking photographs on phones, targets by click and clickbait?
- Pay: a practical session on how to produce the information, statistics and arguments to frame a pay campaign or claim.
- Freelance employment status:
- Local Democracy Reporters: this session will bring together LDRs to discuss how the scheme is working and discuss with a council press officer representative the best ways to forge a positive and productive relationship.
Lunch is provided and after the formal sessions there will be an opportunity to network.