Pitching and Dealing
WhenFriday 4 September 2020
14:00 – 17:30
Download as vCalendar (for Microsoft Outlook etc.)
Want to improve your chances of landing commissions? Ready to learn how to get better fees and haggle over copyright issues? Then Pitching and Dealing is the course for you.
This online course covers areas such as:
- How to compose your email, including the header, to ensure it gets read.
- When to pitch by phone.
- Following up by email, making follow-up phone calls and what you need to say.
- How to price your work and negotiate appropriate fees.
- Using open wording to improve your fee offer and when to stand your ground.
- Some items to think about in licensing further use.
- The importance of getting it all down on paper (or email).
Although this course focuses on selling stories, it will be also useful for freelance photographers aiming to sell images/video, etc.
Your tutor: Louise Bolotin is an experienced journalist and has been freelance since 2005. She has written for a wide range of newspapers and magazines, worked in BBC local radio and was co-founder of hyperlocal news website Inside the M60 in Manchester. She has a keen interest in the business aspects of freelancing and previously taught courses at the NUJ's headquarters.
FREE TO MEMBERS OF MANCHESTER AND SALFORD NUJ (and for members of other branches if spaces are available); £10 for non-members.
£10 for non-members
Further details and contact information