NUJ world press freedom day event: Solidarity with Turkish journalists
WhenThursday 2 May 2013
18:00 - 20.30
Download as vCalendar (for Microsoft Outlook etc.)
Headland House, Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8DP
The union has organised a public meeting for world press freedom day this year - all welcome.
The event is about campaigning for press and media freedom in Turkey. Refreshments will be provided.
According to independent estimates at the start of 2013, Turkey had the highest number of imprisoned journalists in the world.
The European Federation of Journalist (the European section of the International Federation of Journalists) campaigns for the release of all journalists in Turkey.
The NUJ meeting, held on the eve of world press freedom day, will show the extent of the attacks on freedom of expression and the right to report, and how we can offer support and solidarity to our colleagues.
- An introduction from Barry Fitzpatrick - NUJ deputy general secretary
- Mehmet Koksal - European Federation of Journalists Turkey campaign co-ordinator and vice president of AGJPB, the Belgian journalists association.
- Coskun Musluk (by video link-up) - academic and columnist for METU and Oda TV. In prison 375 days from 3 March 2011 until 12 March 2012.
- Sean Bamford - TUC policy officer Eastern Europe and North Africa.
- Jim Boumelha - president of the International Federation of Journalists.
- Chair - Michelle Stanistreet, NUJ general secretary.
The event is supported by the Campaign for Press and Broadcasting Freedom.
Please RSVP by by emailing NUJ Campaigns.
Further details and contact information