NUJ welfare officer training
WhenFriday 27 September 2019
9.00-16.30 with buffet lunch
Download as vCalendar (for Microsoft Outlook etc.)
NUJ, Headland House, 72 Acton Street, London WC1X 9NB
The trustees of NUJ Extra, the union's charity for members who have fallen on hard times, would like to invite you to a free training workshop in London.
We want you to find out more about the breadth of our work and how we help members, former members and their dependants. We’ll provide some practical examples of how we have helped, and the vital role local welfare officers play. You will have the opportunity to ask the welfare officers about their experience.
We’ll provide professional training to help you grow in your role, so you will be confident in helping members who request help. We want to build a support network so we can offer the support you need. We’d love as many of you as possible to come. If your branch has no welfare officer but you think someone might be interested, send them along.
The programme will include:
- Understanding the NUJ Extra welfare charity structure and staff responsibilities.
- How the application process works and how welfare can assist NUJ members.
- Small groups work - sharing experiences of supporting members/policy to support their role
- Awareness of the benefit system and how to signpost members to agencies who can help.
- How to assess the genuine need of an application in a sensitive manner.
There will be a meal provided the night before, details tbc.
If you are interested and would like an attendee form, please contact Leyla Yusuf at email@example.com.
This event is for NUJ members only. Please consider joining the NUJ if you would like to attend this event.
Further details and contact information