NUJ student and young members' conference
WhenSaturday 16 November 2013
starts at 12 noon until 16.00
Download as vCalendar (for Microsoft Outlook etc.)
Headland House, 308-312 Gray’s Inn Road London
NUJ student conference – details announced - Saturday 16 November 2013
Reserve your place for the NUJ student conference today!
The union has organised a conference for students and young members on Saturday 16 November.
The event will take place from noon until 16.00 in London at the union’s Headland House in Kings Cross.
If you want to book a place to attend the event then please email: email@example.com
Welcome - Michelle Stanistreet, NUJ general secretary
12.00-13.00 Getting started in the industry
Panellists share their experiences and top tips for starting out in the media industry.
- Simon Hattenstone, features writer for The Guardian - Simon has been described by Leeds Student newspaper as the ‘king of interviews’.
- James Doherty, media manager at Glasgow Life - An award-winning journalist and scriptwriter, James started out writing for Channel 4 's Brookside when he was 21, he has worked on a local paper in Glasgow, the Big Issue and The Scotsman. James now works to promote some of Scotland's most popular attractions.
- Martin Essex, is a financial journalist who has been a staff writer, editor and broadcaster for outlets from the BBC and Reuters to Dow Jones and The Wall Street Journal. He has also been the economic editor at the newspaper Sunday Business.
14.00-15.00 Protection of sources and materials
Find out more about the union’s code of conduct and NUJ ethics.
- Bill Goodwin, premium content editor at Computer Weekly - Bill refused to reveal his sources when under threat of imprisonment whilst a trainee journalist in 1989.
- Shiv Malik, an investigative journalist and the co-author of Jilted Generation: How Britain Has Bankrupted Its Youth - In 2008 Greater Manchester police demanded Shiv hand over source material for a book on terrorism.
- Jason N. Parkinson, a video journalist and Jason has challenged two production orders demanding he hand over all his footage to police of the Dale Farm traveller site eviction, an English Defence League (EDL) march and a counter protest organised by Unite Against Fascism (UAF).
15.00-16.00: Get active in the NUJ
Get involved and have your say in our union.
- Carl Roper, TUC national organiser - Carl works for the Trade Union Congress (TUC) with responsibility for the young members forum, union organising and recruitment.
- Raechel Mattey, Raechel is the vice president for union development for the National Union of Students (NUS). Raechel had previously completed two terms as societies and services officer at Swansea university students' union. Her responsibilities at NUS include student activities and volunteering.
- Donnacha DeLong, Donnacha is an elected member of the NUJ's national executive council, he has helped to set up a new branch of the union and is a recent graduate from city university.
There are a limited number of places available - reserve your place today by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further details and contact information