Negotiation for freelances (May 2013)
WhenThursday 23 May 2013
10:30 - 16:30
Download as vCalendar (for Microsoft Outlook etc.)
Musicians’ Union, 60-62 Clapham Road, SW9 0JJ
Organised by the Federation of Entertainment Unions (FEU) Training.
Negotiation is an essential skill for a freelance to master. Whether you are negotiating day rates or defined packages of work, it’s important to learn to represent yourself clearly and effectively with the aim of agreeing terms that you and your client are happy with.
This workshop will give you tools and tips for planning, preparing and conducting negotiations in a business-like way. It will offer you insights into styles and processes that can help improve your effectiveness for future negotiations.
This workshop covers:
- the importance of principled negotiation
- how to prepare effectively
- how to gather the information you need to negotiate effectively
- how to find common ground
- how to focus on negotiation as a business transaction
- the importance of defining limits.
This workshop includes practical exercises to provide participants with the opportunity to try out what you learn in a safe environment.
Who should attend?
Anyone who needs to negotiate with clients, especially if they have found themselves in the past, agreeing to things they later regretted.
No specific qualifications are required.
Expected Learning Outcomes
By the end of the workshop you will:
- have gained a deeper understanding of the negotiation process.
- be aware of the importance of planning effectively.
- know how important it is to explore all the potential variables.
- be aware of the relational aspects of negotiation.
- see the benefits of joint problem solving as a negotiation style.
- understand the importance of strategic thinking in negotiations.
Further details and contact information