Getting Started as a Freelance: CANCELLED
WhenWednesday 21 December 2016
10:00 – 16:30 (1 hour lunch break)
Download as vCalendar (for Microsoft Outlook etc.)
Headland House, Training room 1st floor, 72 Acton Street, London WC1X 9NB
Freelance journalists work within sectors such as newspapers, magazines, broadcasting, books as well as many other sectors, in roles such as writers, reporters, subeditors, photographers etc.
This one-day course prepares you for the practical issues that established freelances, and everyone considering becoming freelance, need to be aware of.
Over the course of the day, the following subjects will be covered:
• Preparing yourself to decide what you can offer as a freelance
• The jump from staff to freelance
• Looking for work
• How to find out about finance and tax
• How to try to make sure clients pay up
• Copyright ins and outs
• What the NUJ offers in the way of help
• Q&A session
It’s important to us that you come away from the course understanding the personal impact of the is-sues that you’ve learnt about. So, at the end of the day, we invite you to participate in a questions & answers session, where you will have the opportunity to ask about what you’ve learned, including how they relate to your own personal situation.
Who should attend?
• Freelances in the early days, months or even years of their freelance career
• Freelances who are returning to freelancing
• Staff journalists who are thinking about going freelancing
• People who have come into freelance journal-ism from other backgrounds
Tutors: Louise Bolotin and TBC
If you are interest in attending this course, you may also be interested in attending the complementary course Pitch and Deal.
Getting started as a freelance and Pitch and Deal form part of the NUJ trade union training programme and are therefore discounted.
BOOK HERE quoting course code GSF0117
NUJ Members: £60.00; Students: £50.00; NUJ unemployed members: £50.00; Non-Members: £110.00
Further details and contact information