Getting started as a freelance (November 2013)
WhenFriday 1 November 2013
Download as vCalendar (for Microsoft Outlook etc.)
NUJ Head Office, Headland House, 308-312 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8DP
Freelance journalists work as writers, reporters, subeditors and photographers and more in areas covering newspapers, magazines, broadcasting and books and more. This one-day course covers the ground that freelances, and people thinking of going freelance, need to be aware of.
- Setting yourself to decide what you can offer as a freelance
- The jump from staff to freelance
- Looking for work
- Interacting with editors
- Doing deals that stick
- How to find out about finance and tax
- How to try to make sure clients pay up
- What the NUJ offers in the way of help
- Copyright ins and outs
- Question & Answer session when you can ask about your own situation and anything else.
Getting started as a freelance and pitch and deal form part of the NUJ trade union training programme and are therefore discounted.
Who should attend?
Freelances in the early days (or months, or even years) of their freelance career; freelances who are returning to freelancing; staff journalists who are thinking about going freelancing; people who have come into freelance journalism from other backgrounds.
Tutors: Phil Sutcliffe and Humphrey Evans
Further details and contact information
Telephone: 020 7520 8340