Countering Violent Extremism & Crafting a Story: free workshops
WhenThursday 31 August 2017
Download as vCalendar (for Microsoft Outlook etc.)
Headland House, 72 Acton Street, London WC1X 9NB
Corsham Institute’s (Ci) mission is to work toward a fair, inclusive, prosperous and creative society based on trust and security. Along with our partners, we run a number of learning programmes. On Thursday 31 August and Friday 1 September, Ci and the Radio Netherlands Training Center will offer a two-day workshop on Countering Violent Extremism and Crafting Narrative. This workshop is for community leaders, policy makers, trainers and journalists working with vulnerable citizens.
The workshops are offered free and you may attend both days, or either day. The workshops are limited to 20 places, so register early. To join our workshops, taking place at the NUJ, email Dr Charles Kriel at firstname.lastname@example.org, or for more information, ring Ci at +44 (0) 1249 700 888.
Day 1: Countering Violent Extremism
As the world struggles to cope with the persuasive powers of violent extremists, Ci, working with RNTC (Radio Netherlands Training Center) is the first training institute to offer media and community professionals a methodology to counter radical ideologies that lead to violent acts. Our unique course sets out proven strategies to respond to the distortions of propaganda leading to violent action.
- You will learn how multimedia material which changes attitudes and behaviours are produced, under the guidance of experienced Ci and RNTC media experts, and put into practice key learning and persuasion theories
- You learn from actual programmes and real-life cases that help bring individuals and communities back from the brink
- You will learn creative techniques and new ways to deliver alternative narratives to micro-target audiences
Day 2: Storytelling – crafting your narrative
This course teaches you how to find, capture, and engage your audience to tell powerful stories in ways that stick. It will teach you about narratives and learning and why these are essential concepts to persuade any audience. The course will enable you to understand the emotional payoffs you can offer target audiences. It will give you dozens of formats and subtypes of formats which can be combined in a multitude of creative ways to get your stories across.
- You will understand how humans learn and be able to identify the emotional payoffs of any target audiences, which will help you to find and capture your audiences
- Introduce you to techniques of narrative, and introduces tools to produce stories that have major and measurable impact
These courses are for journalists, media makers, and civil society campaigners as well as advertisers and marketers who want to learn the techniques of storytelling, identifying and mapping audiences, and persuasion, and to master creative media formats.
Further details and contact information
Dr Charles Kriel
Telephone: +44 (0) 1249 700 888