LNM 2017: NUJ local news matters week starts 24 March 2017
© red engine
4 January 2017
We are holding a week of action that will champion local news as an essential component of society, democracy and citizenship.
Kicking off on Friday 24 March until Saturday 1 April, the campaign plans already include a series of events in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. We want to involve thousands of NUJ members, reps, chapels and branches from across different sectors of the media.
There’ll be events, conferences and activities taking place every day of the week and NUJ members from all parts of the local media – newspapers, online, start-ups, radio, TV, photographers and communications – are getting involved.
This union-wide campaign wants to galvanise our collective voice to put pressure on media companies and other decision-makers who can stop the cuts and increase investment in quality local journalism.
Our campaign demands:
- A short, sharp, national, parliamentary inquiry into the state of local news
- Local papers should be treated as community assets
- New rules to prevent local media outlets from closing overnight – they should be offered to potential new owners, including local co-operatives, with the time available to submit a bid for alternative media ownership in advance of any closure
- Action by government and employers to stem the relentless job cuts
- Increasing investment, from a range of sources, for quality local journalism.
Our campaign aims to reclaim a vital, vigorous press that is at the heart of the community it serves and is owned and operated in the public interest.
Get active today:
- Send us a 140-character message (the size of a Tweet) to say why you care about local news
- Record a video message for the campaign
- Send us examples that show how news coverage in your area has been able to make a real difference
- Volunteer to organise local events or activities in your area
- Send any messages, videos, good examples, comments or feedback to our campaigns and communications department via email: email@example.com
Events once confirmed will be published here.
Local members, branches and chapels will meet with politicians on Friday 24 March.
On Tuesday 28 March there will be a public meeting in parliament starting at 6pm. Details tbc. Register to attend the event by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
On Wednesday 29 March, NUJ chapels are planning simultaneous workplace meetings.
On Friday 31 March, NUJ Scotland has organised a conference in Edinburgh. Guest speakers confirmed include US academic, Robert McChesney, who has proposed a Citizenship News Voucher scheme. Save the date in your diary now and more details to be announced soon. Register to attend the event by emailing your name to the NUJ Scottish Office: NUJScotland@nuj.org.uk
On Saturday 1 April there is an NUJ reps meeting in Manchester.
- Join the NUJ Facebook group and the NUJ Linkedin group to share information about plans in your area
- Keep up-to-date with information about the week of action
- Access the latest NUJ news about the campaign
- Access the Press Gazette research on newspaper closures
- Follow @NUJofficial on twitter, tweet us your local news and use the hashtag: #LNM
- Let us know what you are planning for the week by emailing: email@example.com
Download the week of action logo to use on your local materials and publicity.
Download the NUJ Informed special edition dedicated to the Local News Matters week of action.
Download the Campaigns Checklist (as seen below).
This page will continue to be updated as more information and resources are confirmed and published.....