NUJ delegate meeting
The NUJ's policy, objectives and campaigning priorities are decided at the NUJ conference – the delegate meeting (DM).
NUJ delegate meeting © Private
NUJ DM is the union's main policy-making body. A member can volunteer to attend DM as a delegate and speak and vote on behalf of the members they are representing.
The NUJ is a democratic union: all members can influence policy. All members are entitled to attend branch meetings and branches can submit motions and amendments to conference.
Delegates can speak in debates, vote and ask questions. If a motion is passed, it becomes union policy. To prepare for DM every branch holds a special meeting to discuss arrangements for the conference.
Delegate Meeting (DM 2018) Southport
DM 2018 will take place in Southport from Thursday 19 April to Sunday 22 April 2018, including sector conferences (19 April). The pre-DM NEC takes place in Southport on 18 April 2018.
Information about DM 2018
- Nomination packs for DM-elected bodies will be distributed to branches September 2017
- Nomination packs for the national executive, industrial and other executive councils will be sent out in September 2017
- Information on how to register delegates for DM will be issued in January 2018. Branches are advised to consider potential delegate(s) nominations prior to their January branch meeting.
Deadlines for DM 2018
- Close of motions and nominations 21 November 2017
- Preliminary agenda will be published by 2 January 2018
- Close of amendments 20 February 2018
- Final agenda and annual report will be available by 13 March 2018.
Delegate Meeting (DM 2016) Southport
Voting at the DM © Private
DM 2016 will take place in Southport from Thursday 14 April to Sunday 17 April 2016, including sector conferences.
Nomination packs for DM-elected bodies have been distributed to branches.
Nomination packs for the national executive, industrial and other executive councils will be sent out late October 2015.
Information on how to register delegates for DM will be issued in January 2016. Branches are advised to consider potential delegate(s) nominations prior to their January branch meeting.
DM 2016 documents -
- NUJ DM 2016 resolutions (motions agreed at conference)
- NUJ DM 2016 final agenda
- NUJ DM 2016 report to delegate meeting
- NUJ Rules updated September 2015
Report to DM
Reading the annual report © Private
The conference also scrutinises the union's accounts and reviews reports from each sector and body of the union.
Documents from previous conferences, including the reports to DM, are available on the DM documents page.
The 2012 DM agreed to hold the conference every two years after the 2014 conference.
During the DM conference, each industrial sector also organises a conference to set priorities and exchange information about recent activity and specific issues affecting members working in their own sectors.