NUJ delegate meeting
The NUJ's policy, objectives and campaigning priorities are decided at the NUJ conference – the delegate meeting (DM).
NUJ delegate meeting © Private
NUJ DM is the union's main policy-making body. A member can volunteer to attend DM as a delegate and speak and vote on behalf of the members they are representing.
The NUJ is a democratic union: all members can influence policy. All members are entitled to attend branch meetings and branches can submit motions and amendments to conference.
Delegates can speak in debates, vote and ask questions. If a motion is passed, it becomes union policy. To prepare for DM every branch holds a special meeting to discuss arrangements for the conference.
Delegate Meeting (DM 2020) Southport
The next delegate meeting will take place in Southport on 24-26 April 2020.
DM deadlines -
- Close of motions and nominations 19 Nov 2019
- Preliminary agenda 7 Jan 2020
- Close of amendments and confirmation of DM statements 18 Feb 2020
- Final agenda and annual report 10 March 2020
If you have queries please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about DM 2018
- All the union policy agreed at DM 2018 is available in the resolutions document containing the final text of all the motions agreed at the union's conference - DM 2018 resolutions
- NUJ Report to Delegate Meeting 2018 (password protected, see password on download screen)
Voting at the DM © Private
Reading the annual report © Private
The conference also scrutinises the union's accounts and reviews reports from each sector and body of the union.
Documents from previous conferences, including the reports to DM, are available on the DM documents page.
The 2012 DM agreed to hold the conference every two years after the 2014 conference.
During the DM conference, each industrial sector also organises a conference to set priorities and exchange information about recent activity and specific issues affecting members working in their own sectors.
Delegate Meeting (DM 2016) Southport
DM 2016 was held from 14 April to Sunday 17 April 2016, including sector conferences.
DM 2016 documents -