If you work as a photographer - the NUJ is the union for you.
We can help provide you with advice on work related matters including pay and conditions, legal issues, copyright matters, disputes with non-paying clients, employment problems, technical and ethical issues.
The union can also provide advice on contracts and training as well as ample opportunities to come together and meet other NUJ members - be part of a larger community of photographers fighting to defend the profession and have the support of this community when you need it.
The NUJ represents 38,000 members working in all sectors of the media, including freelance photographers and staff photographers and videographers.
Some of the current issues for NUJ photographers include:
- Fair rates for sale of images, low shift and image rates and companies attempting to get photographers to work for no pay
- Attacks on copyright and contractual rights
- Restrictions on the right to photograph and record
- Press freedom and obstruction, harassment, assault and/or arrest of photographers and videographers
- Health, safety and working conditions for photographers and videographers
What we do:
- Campaign to maintain and enforce the special protection of journalistic material from police seizure
- Ethics and professional standards – the NUJ defends lens based journalists who are forced to act unethically
- Work to ensure adequate police training on working with members of the media and the UK Press Card
- Provide legal, ethical and union support and guidance to photographers and videographers on issues ranging from police action, tax, non-paying clients, copyright and discrimination
- Student members are also entitled to have a student press card.