The benefits of being an NUJ member include:
- Equality: there is less chance of discrimination in a unionised workplace.
- NUJ extra: our registered charity helps members and their dependants in times of need.
- Health and safety: union reps have powers to ensure the risks of injury or ill-health are reduced or eliminated at work.
- Legal support: every year, the NUJ helps hundreds of members win damages from employers and clients.
- More pay and holidays: the NUJ can help improve pay rates and in a unionised workplace, you get more annual leave.
- Press freedom: the union defends press freedom when it comes under threat.
- Ethics: the NUJ has its own code of conduct and support services for members.
- Training: the union provides training for members.
Full and temporary members of the union who are engaged in news-gathering can apply for press cards once their membership has been approved.
The NUJ has a deal with the Apple online store under which the full range of Apple desktop computers and laptops are available to NUJ members at reduced prices.